Skip to main content

Hobbies - sanity saving stuff!

 I haven't written anything in a while. Mostly because I've been keeping myself busy, quite productively I must say.



I started a whatsapp group more than a year ago, where I sell items I find at thrift stores. I hit an emotional bump in the beginning of the year and stopped the group for a few months. After some self reflection, I started the group again, and it's been keeping me occupied. And thus away from sinking into depression again. Depression as a result of PTSD from special needs parenting. But I have posted about this before, and this post is about positivity and hope. So I won't be going into depressing subjects today.


My whatsapp group's name is Interestingfinds. And that's exactly what I sell on the group. Treasures I find in thriftstores and similar stores. I also have a bidorbuy account where I sell similar items.


But the whatsapp group has been really therapeutic. I get to interact with other people (electronically) and I have made quite a few friends this way. Interesting and diverse friends who all have something in common. They all like the items I find...



I have thought about why I love thrifting so much, and I have come up with a few reasons. 

I love the hunt. It's like I get to go on a treasure hunt every time I go searching for stock. 

I love researching the items I find. To imagine the time it comes from. I have found a number of VERY old items along the way. 

Some of the most interesting are old coins. ZAR coins - from 1896 - I had a silver tickey, sixpence and 2 and a half shilling at one point. 

Another very interesting (and lucrative) find was a box full of old GI Joe's (and accessories) - from the 1960's. These were original Vintage GI Joe's and we made about 500% profit on this lot. I say "we" because Alta and I share this passion for old stuff, and we started the group together. She is however working full time as a physiotherapist now and I am running the group and Bob on my own. 



We have had to make a lot of sacrifices on this special needs journey, and we make them out of love. 

One of the sacrifices is "nice" things. We do not have any pictures on the walls (we had photos in frames, but with every one Jacques broke, I didn't bother to replace it) and thus, now, we have bare walls. 

There are no cupboards or side boards with little ornaments, those we had to give up a long time ago. 

The piano bench is empty, all the sheet music is locked away in a cupboard. 

Our living room has 3 couches, 1 piano and a specially built, bolted to the wall, wooden TV case with perspex-like glass to protect the TV. That is it. There is no decor, no portraits, nothing. 



You do not get a sense of family when you enter our house, but that's okay. We have accepted this, and it doesn't reflect our home at all. Our home is the people inside the house. The people who have sacrificed so much for one person, and who will continue to sacrifice whatever we need to. 


We have adapted the house in such a way that we can keep Jacques from the back part of the house. 

You could say this part is our sanctum, Johan's office and Ruben's room is in this part. My "interestingfinds" are also kept in this part of the house. 

Jacques is not allowed in this part of the house without supervision. 

This may sound harsh, but it works for us. And the fact that we can leave him alone in the front part (at least for a little while), really helps a lot! 

Now, to get back to the reasons I love thrifting, I get to hold and admire items for a while. Items I can not keep because of the reasons already mentioned. 

Beautiful, rare and old items, with rich histories behind them. 

The money I make from the items have helped, especially during lockdown. But the therapeutic effects have definitely made the biggest difference. 

I am grateful to have found a hobby I really love, and been able to make some money from it as well. 




Comments

  1. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi please email me Lairhart@cfcsyndrome.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our greatest fears came true for a friend of mine.

The third angel I had the privilege of knowing has passed away. And my heart breaks for all of the parents of the kids taken away so young. This is a pain I am not yet familiar with, but it is the pain I know that will hurt the most. This is the pain many special needs family's fear more than any diagnosis or treatment. The pain of saying goodbye to the person who formed you more than anything or anyone else ever could. And this special person formed the whole family dynamic. Everything revolved around their care. Vacations were planned around their needs. Their parents were absent for a lot of their siblings life. I fear for the time, just after the loved one will be taken, what will the sibling/s feel? How will they react? How will we react? I know there will be sadness, but what other emotions will be lurking around? Anger? Resentment? Maybe even a sense of relief? How will we deal with that? I think it's important to start dealing with these emotions wh

Embarrassing or infuriating?? Both.

This special needs journey has been entertaining. It has been scary. It has been educational. It has been down right depressing at times. It has been humerous. All of these emotions have been present for a while, and we experience most of them daily. It has also been embarrassing. But we got used to the dirty nappies at inoppertune times. We even got used to impolite stares and whispers. All of these moments have been embarrassing in a way, but we got over it and learned how to cope with them. We have recently begun to deal with issues that were not present before. It is embarrassing, but it also reminds me of how uninformed people can be. We attended my niece's birthday party and one of the moms told my sister that she was worried because my son would be attending. She was worried he would try something with one of the girls. Now, for those who don't know Jacques, that is just plain hilarious. It is funny because Jacques doesn't understand sexuality. And it is hilarious be