Skip to main content

Let's try again.....

Oh boy, I'm doing it again, starting a blog.  I'll be honest, it's never really worked out very well for me.  I guess it's because I get easily distracted and bored.  However, this time I'm doing it for me,  myself and I. This year has been really hard on me, and I've decided to start a new blog to work through my feelings and the same time advocate and brag about my family, especially my oldest son, Jacques. He was born with a genetic condition,  we still don't know exactly what, but are hopefully getting closer to some answers.

His current diagnosis is FG Syndrome, however at this stage we suspect possibly, Mitochondrial disease.  We will probably get him tested for Mito next year (it will be the second time he gets tested for Mito, the first test came back inconclusive).

He is going for a bone biopsy as well as a small intestine biopsy to test for both a bone disease and Celiac disease.

After breaking his foot in April and then breaking his leg in August, after low impact falls we had his bone density tested.
His z-scores came back VERY low. The endocrinologist suspects a form of Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

The neurologist had his blood tested for Celiac disease, although all of the blood work came back negative, his gene test came back positive for the HLA-DQ2 gene, that's when she ordered the intestinal biopsy to check for villous atrophy.

I have not even touched on our ordeal at the beginning of the year, but I will get to that in a following blog post.

His biopsies are scheduled for 11 November and I really hope we will get some answers from them.

For now I have said enough and feel better just getting these few words written.  Till next time.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies - sanity saving stuff!

 I haven't written anything in a while. Mostly because I've been keeping myself busy, quite productively I must say. I started a whatsapp group more than a year ago, where I sell items I find at thrift stores. I hit an emotional bump in the beginning of the year and stopped the group for a few months. After some self reflection, I started the group again, and it's been keeping me occupied. And thus away from sinking into depression again. Depression as a result of PTSD from special needs parenting. But I have posted about this before, and this post is about positivity and hope. So I won't be going into depressing subjects today. My whatsapp group's name is Interestingfinds. And that's exactly what I sell on the group. Treasures I find in thriftstores and similar stores. I also have a bidorbuy account where I sell similar items. But the whatsapp group has been really therapeutic. I get to interact with other people (electronically) and I have made quite a few fr

Our greatest fears came true for a friend of mine.

The third angel I had the privilege of knowing has passed away. And my heart breaks for all of the parents of the kids taken away so young. This is a pain I am not yet familiar with, but it is the pain I know that will hurt the most. This is the pain many special needs family's fear more than any diagnosis or treatment. The pain of saying goodbye to the person who formed you more than anything or anyone else ever could. And this special person formed the whole family dynamic. Everything revolved around their care. Vacations were planned around their needs. Their parents were absent for a lot of their siblings life. I fear for the time, just after the loved one will be taken, what will the sibling/s feel? How will they react? How will we react? I know there will be sadness, but what other emotions will be lurking around? Anger? Resentment? Maybe even a sense of relief? How will we deal with that? I think it's important to start dealing with these emotions wh

Embarrassing or infuriating?? Both.

This special needs journey has been entertaining. It has been scary. It has been educational. It has been down right depressing at times. It has been humerous. All of these emotions have been present for a while, and we experience most of them daily. It has also been embarrassing. But we got used to the dirty nappies at inoppertune times. We even got used to impolite stares and whispers. All of these moments have been embarrassing in a way, but we got over it and learned how to cope with them. We have recently begun to deal with issues that were not present before. It is embarrassing, but it also reminds me of how uninformed people can be. We attended my niece's birthday party and one of the moms told my sister that she was worried because my son would be attending. She was worried he would try something with one of the girls. Now, for those who don't know Jacques, that is just plain hilarious. It is funny because Jacques doesn't understand sexuality. And it is hilarious be