Skip to main content

Another proud mommy moment...



My son had friends over for a sleep-over birthday party this past weekend. It was a lot of fun and the kids enjoyed themselves, but there were also some less than enjoyable moments. Ruben's friends are all smaller than Jacques, which is understandable as there is a three and a half year age difference. Jacques likes having the friends over, he was very excited beforehand. But, he gets over excited and then doesn't know how to regulate his emotions. Unfortunately some of the friends had to endure slaps and having things thrown at them. I felt bad for the friends, and tried to explain that Jacques didn't mean to hurt them, that he just got excited and didn't know how to express himself.
Ruben came home yesterday and told me that one of the friends that came for the sleep-over told him that he doesn't want to be friends anymore. Luckily, my very resilient child wasn't upset about this and just told me about three new friends he made. I feel really proud of him, for not making it a big issue, and just accepting it and moving on.
I am amazed that Ruben has figured out, on his own, that if his friends, and people in general, does not want to accept Jacques (and therefor him), that it is not a reflection on him, but rather on the other person.

I really want to foster the notion in him (and in myself) that we are not victims of our circumstances. We can make the best of whatever happens in our lives. That is what I want to accomplish with my new keto lifestyle, I want to do everything in my power to not become a victim of alzheimers disease.
I want to help in the research and studies, to find ways to combat dementia from early on, especially in the population who are at risk of early onset alzheimers disease. If my keto experimenting can lead to some hope for not only my future but anyone else's it is worth the try, and if I realize that keto is not the way, I will keep researching and trying until we find something that will help in the prevention of this horrible disease.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies - sanity saving stuff!

 I haven't written anything in a while. Mostly because I've been keeping myself busy, quite productively I must say. I started a whatsapp group more than a year ago, where I sell items I find at thrift stores. I hit an emotional bump in the beginning of the year and stopped the group for a few months. After some self reflection, I started the group again, and it's been keeping me occupied. And thus away from sinking into depression again. Depression as a result of PTSD from special needs parenting. But I have posted about this before, and this post is about positivity and hope. So I won't be going into depressing subjects today. My whatsapp group's name is Interestingfinds. And that's exactly what I sell on the group. Treasures I find in thriftstores and similar stores. I also have a bidorbuy account where I sell similar items. But the whatsapp group has been really therapeutic. I get to interact with other people (electronically) and I have made quite a few fr

Our greatest fears came true for a friend of mine.

The third angel I had the privilege of knowing has passed away. And my heart breaks for all of the parents of the kids taken away so young. This is a pain I am not yet familiar with, but it is the pain I know that will hurt the most. This is the pain many special needs family's fear more than any diagnosis or treatment. The pain of saying goodbye to the person who formed you more than anything or anyone else ever could. And this special person formed the whole family dynamic. Everything revolved around their care. Vacations were planned around their needs. Their parents were absent for a lot of their siblings life. I fear for the time, just after the loved one will be taken, what will the sibling/s feel? How will they react? How will we react? I know there will be sadness, but what other emotions will be lurking around? Anger? Resentment? Maybe even a sense of relief? How will we deal with that? I think it's important to start dealing with these emotions wh

Embarrassing or infuriating?? Both.

This special needs journey has been entertaining. It has been scary. It has been educational. It has been down right depressing at times. It has been humerous. All of these emotions have been present for a while, and we experience most of them daily. It has also been embarrassing. But we got used to the dirty nappies at inoppertune times. We even got used to impolite stares and whispers. All of these moments have been embarrassing in a way, but we got over it and learned how to cope with them. We have recently begun to deal with issues that were not present before. It is embarrassing, but it also reminds me of how uninformed people can be. We attended my niece's birthday party and one of the moms told my sister that she was worried because my son would be attending. She was worried he would try something with one of the girls. Now, for those who don't know Jacques, that is just plain hilarious. It is funny because Jacques doesn't understand sexuality. And it is hilarious be