Skip to main content

The isolation of special needs parenting...





I wanted to title this post, the loneliness of special needs parenting, but halfway through I had to change the title. You will find out why as you read, so hold on to your horses and read at your own peril.

I looked up the word lonely, and according to the dictionary the definition of lonely is: "sad because one has no friends or company".
I guess, according to the meaning of the word, I can't call my journey of special needs parenting lonely.
The second part of the definition is mostly correct, most of the time I have no friends or company, I only have Jacques' presence, always there. But I cant say I'm sad. Most days I have a lot of happy moments, with Jacques.
A synonym for lonely is isolated, I guess that is a better way to describe the special needs journey.
The meaning of isolated is: "having minimal contact or little in common with others." Unfortunately, our journey has forced us to have very little in common with most people.

And it is the journeys fault. If autism was not a part of our journey, if type 1 diabetes wasn't a part of our journey, I am a hundred percent certain our journey would look a lot different.
We would be able to go out to eat at whichever restaurant we feel like, not Jacques' favorite EVERY SINGLE TIME. And we could do that whenever we feel like it. We could quickly stop at the shops and go into all the stores we would like to. But if we do those things on our special needs journey we get hit windows, we get a hooter blown at every stop or traffic light. In short, it is overall a traumatizing experience.

Ruben would be able to have friends over who wouldn't leave our house with PTSD after a visit.
That is why this special needs parenting thing is such an isolating experience.

You lose most of the people you thought would be in your life forever. And please believe me, I am not bitter about this. I really understand the reality of our life, I know Jacques can be VERY intimidating. And if I am completely honest, I have to admit that I have considered drastic measures. Measures I do not wish to discuss at this stage because it hurts to even consider. And no, it's not as bad as it sounds. Let's just say that I have had fantasies of placing Jacques in an institute.

But, and this a BIG BUT, you gain a village that helps you through the isolation.
When I feel like my last marble is about to roll into the ether, my mother in law will come to fetch Jacques for a visit. Without me having to ask, she just senses somehow I could use the break. She is part of my village.

I am very blessed to have a sister and brother in law that travels 260km to come through for a special event in my sons life. They are a part of my village.

I have another sister who is always available to babysit for a night or a weekend so that hubby and I can escape from the journey for a little while. She is part of my village.

These woman are my rock, they keep me sane on this very insane special needs journey.
Our village include men that are always by our side, no matter what, we can always count on them.


And I thank God everyday for blessing my little family with these amazing people who carry us without even realizing it most of the time.
My sincere prayer is that my fellow special needs mommies and their families have the same type of village to help them.
And if you don't, please reach out, there are a lot of other people in similar situations. I am blessed to have other mommies of warriors that I share a lot of my struggles with. And sometimes I share things with them that I wouldn't even share with the people in my village.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies - sanity saving stuff!

 I haven't written anything in a while. Mostly because I've been keeping myself busy, quite productively I must say. I started a whatsapp group more than a year ago, where I sell items I find at thrift stores. I hit an emotional bump in the beginning of the year and stopped the group for a few months. After some self reflection, I started the group again, and it's been keeping me occupied. And thus away from sinking into depression again. Depression as a result of PTSD from special needs parenting. But I have posted about this before, and this post is about positivity and hope. So I won't be going into depressing subjects today. My whatsapp group's name is Interestingfinds. And that's exactly what I sell on the group. Treasures I find in thriftstores and similar stores. I also have a bidorbuy account where I sell similar items. But the whatsapp group has been really therapeutic. I get to interact with other people (electronically) and I have made quite a few fr

Our greatest fears came true for a friend of mine.

The third angel I had the privilege of knowing has passed away. And my heart breaks for all of the parents of the kids taken away so young. This is a pain I am not yet familiar with, but it is the pain I know that will hurt the most. This is the pain many special needs family's fear more than any diagnosis or treatment. The pain of saying goodbye to the person who formed you more than anything or anyone else ever could. And this special person formed the whole family dynamic. Everything revolved around their care. Vacations were planned around their needs. Their parents were absent for a lot of their siblings life. I fear for the time, just after the loved one will be taken, what will the sibling/s feel? How will they react? How will we react? I know there will be sadness, but what other emotions will be lurking around? Anger? Resentment? Maybe even a sense of relief? How will we deal with that? I think it's important to start dealing with these emotions wh

Embarrassing or infuriating?? Both.

This special needs journey has been entertaining. It has been scary. It has been educational. It has been down right depressing at times. It has been humerous. All of these emotions have been present for a while, and we experience most of them daily. It has also been embarrassing. But we got used to the dirty nappies at inoppertune times. We even got used to impolite stares and whispers. All of these moments have been embarrassing in a way, but we got over it and learned how to cope with them. We have recently begun to deal with issues that were not present before. It is embarrassing, but it also reminds me of how uninformed people can be. We attended my niece's birthday party and one of the moms told my sister that she was worried because my son would be attending. She was worried he would try something with one of the girls. Now, for those who don't know Jacques, that is just plain hilarious. It is funny because Jacques doesn't understand sexuality. And it is hilarious be